Never Change Points Again:
If you are the owner of a classic vehicle and want to keep that original equipment look when you open up the hood, finding parts that not only look original, but outperform, is not always an easy task.
One area that really needs an improvement would be under your distributor cap. Classic car engines were designed to operate with a breaker point ignition system, where a cam is rotating on the distributor shaft, opening the points at exactly the right moment, sending up to 2500 volts to the spark plug. The spark occurs at the spark plug almost the instant the contact points open.
When the engine is idling, the spark occurs just before the piston reaches top dead center. But at higher speeds, the spark is advanced, or moved ahead, so that it occurs earlier.
As the points wear, the point gap increases sending a weaker amount of electrical current to the spark plugs and the vehicle will begin to run rough, as if it misses a beat. If you fail to check the gap periodically, it will decrease your fuel mileage and one day the engine could fail to start.
This will always occur when you are far from home, heading to a car show, or out for a cruise, showing off your cool ride, only to have it fail to start. This is not the time to consider checking or changing your ignition points.
Pertronix has invented a product that has been around for several years, offering a pointless ignition set up, while still using your original cap and rotor. It gives the appearance of original equipment while performing just like an electronic ignition.
For over thirty years, the Ignitor has proven itself in applications ranging from race cars to tractors. The Ignitor replaces breaker point and troublesome factory electronic ignitions with a dependable, self contained and maintenance free electronic ignition system. The Ignitor has been called the “stealth” ignition because of its quick installation and nearly undetectable presence under your distributor cap.
• Operating Voltage: 8-V to 16-V DC
• Temperature Range: -50º to 300ºF
• RPM Range: 0 to 15,000 RPM
• 12-V NEG Ground (some 6-V NEG, 6 & 12-V POS ground kits available)
• System is designed for use with most point-type coils, optimal performance achieved when used with their Flame-Thrower® 40,000 volt coil.
• Works great in stock point-type distributors as a trigger for multi-spark CD ignitions, eliminating the need for expensive aftermarket distributors.
• No complicated wiring makes installation easy.
• A solid-state electronic ignition system. “Never change points again!”
I have Pertronix installed in all of my classic vehicles, giving me worry free start ups. Pertronix is sold at most auto parts stores and you can find them at Summit Racing.
For more information on Pertronix products, visit their website at http://www.pertronix.com/